Tuesday, February 14, 2012

High Intensity Interval Training

Yesterday I promised a little intro into High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I had already done a little bit of research on it but here are a two more articles on the subject that I found to be pretty helpful (the Shape one was recommended by Sara).

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/fashion/03Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

It sounds like a pretty incredible program if you can hang. I tried "the big baby" version yesterday on an elliptical machine. It's supposed to be a versatile program which can be applied to running on the street or a treadmill, a real bike or stationary, swimming, or even the low impact elliptical. As long as you push your limits in the exercise and then rest, it's supposed to be effective.
The plan is like this:
-pick an exercise like running
-warm up for a few minutes
-sprint for 30-60 seconds
-walk or jog lightly for 2-4 minutes
-repeat several times
It should last for about 20 minutes.

You're not supposed to do this multiple days in a row. You're body needs time to recover but it does say you can work it into other routines. I'm going to work it into my off lifting days. Once upon a time I was a pretty good sprinter. Maybe I'll bring it back.

The benefits are supposed to be incredible. Check out the studies in the articles. Your body is being challenged in a whole new way and you're building different muscles when you push yourself in the high intensity parts.

Miracles? Who knows. But at least it's keeping me active and interested.

Have a punny on me.

Pinned Image

216.8, 25.5%

No comments:

Post a Comment