Sunday, January 8, 2012

Burritos: friend or foe?

I had numerous food gatherings this weekend. It's weird how humans have evolved to be social with their food. It's like this odd excuse to hang out. Like in Good Will Hunting when he points out that they might as well eat caramels as get coffee because they're equally arbitrary activities. I suppose it's because food usually makes people happy so we figure we should at least get something good out of the interaction if the company sucks. And if it doesn't then we have two things to be happy about.
In other news, in addition to the other free equipment we're getting from Sara's dad, we'll also be getting one of his old spin bikes (which Sara is really excited about) and possibly an elliptical machine from my cousin. We both like the elliptical machine better than the tread mill so major score for us.

 There's been an article going around on Facebook about the worst meals to get at your usual restaurant chains. I knew one of my favorites was going to be on there but I wasn't worried because I don't eat that particular option. Chipotle's steak burrito always shows up on one of those lists because it's a massive meal. If you get everything they offer you plus guacamole and a bag of chips, you're looking at almost 2,000 calories which is what a lot of people need to consume in one day. The reason I don't (usually) feel bad when I indulge is because my burrito choice has been carefully crafted to be just the way I want it for both flavor and nutrition. When I first tried Chipotle I didn't like it very much because the rice and sour cream were always really cold which meant that my entire burrito was cold by the time I got it home and no one wants a cold burrito. So I eliminated those ingredients and I was happier about going when my friends wanted to go. Eventually I decided to "slim down" my burrito so I skipped the beans too which I've always just accepted as a necessary ingredient to any burrito but never really cared for in the first place. I also began to add lettuce which gave me more greens. And one thing Chipotle has that I really like that a real Mexican food place usually doesn't have are the fajita veggies (sauteed green bell peppers and red onions). After all that editing, it's one of my favorite meals and the nutritional facts look pretty good:
tortilla- 290 calories
chicken- 190 cal
veggies- 20 cal
salsa- 20 cal
cheese- 100 cal
lettuce- 10 cal_____
burrito - 630 calories [48 grams of protein, 24.5 grams of fat (10 sat fat), 50 g carb]

So yeah it s a lot for one meal but when you're counting calories then you can work it into your daily intake, no problem. The real issue is when you have friends that want to go to Los Pericos and you know you're not getting out of there for less than 2,000 calories. That's a day for a few extra push-ups.

In the mean time I'm eating oatmeal and fish and spinach salads and non fat yogurt with blueberries. All in all I can't complain about my eating habits because they're pretty good and I'm not feeling like I'm missing out on anything. As much as I like burritos and burgers and big ass sandwiches, if I eat those things all  the time I feel gross so I just don't.

And the biggest success of all: today I rode to the gym, and my ass didn't hurt a bit.


Here's a little something to make you chuckle.
Pinned Image

224.1, 27.5% (btw for those of you keeping score at home, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm weighing myself every morning and measuring my body fat with a little machine that they use in gyms)

No comments:

Post a Comment