Tuesday, January 3, 2012

so beat up right now.

Evening folks.

I'm tired. Very tired.

After the bittersweet end to my jury duty this morning, I came home with plenty of time in the day to do almost anything I wanted. By the way, my epic battle with jury duty ended because the judge called a mistrial. I never even spoke. Just waited around until today to be sent home.
Anyhoo, I didn't think I was going to get in a good workout today but as it turned I did. I decided to act like a crazy person and ride to the gym on only me second day of being back on the bike. My ass was sore from yesterdays riding (all 3 total miles of it) and I figured why not ride 9 more today. So I rode to the gym, worked out my upper body for an hour and then rode home. It was pretty rough.
As you can imagine, I've never been an avid cyclist. Or a big athlete. Or in any kind of good physical condition since I was 16 and even then it wasn't anything to brag about. So 9 miles broken up with an hour between sessions was quite a bit for me. Add in the workout and I'm feeling pretty good about my efforts today. Tired, but proud I made it.
I know plenty about working out. I've taken multiple weights classes in my time and read lots of articles online and in magazines, (my main issue has always been sticking to it) but when Lauren Von Dett of SRVHS/Hooters fame suggested I try the kettle bell swing, I found myself in the dark. So I googled it and realized I had seen it before so it shouldn't be too difficult to do. At the end of my workout I grabbed a 15lb kettle bell and made like the pictures. It wasn't very heavy but I needed to start somewhere. My legs were still sore but the activity felt pretty good and it was kind of fun. Lauren is in pretty good shape (as Hooters would demand) so I figure she knows what shes talking about. I can't imagine doing the 200 reps she does, but that's why she's rocking the six pack and I'm rocking the "marshmallow man". I'm looking forward to getting a kettle bell or two for the house.
The other new exercise I tried out for the first time today was the "plank". I've never tried it before but it's everywhere in the online fitness routines so it seemed like a good idea. I found a "plank challenge" where you increase your time every two days or so, beginning with 5 seconds on the first day and ending with 60 at the end of the month. I felt pretty good when I could go for almost 20 seconds before my body shook too much. All these years of sucking in my gut must have helped.

This is the kettle bell swing (duh). I raised the bell over my head which is another variation.


This is a plank.


Not to be confused with "planking"


Or "owling"??


The internet is a weird place.

No weigh in today. Tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment