Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's not a resolution...it's not...at all.

     I'm not a "new years resolution" person. I've never made any in the past and I'm not going to start now. What I have always done is make inconsistent efforts to change myself for the better no matter what time of year it is. Maybe I exercise more, maybe I drink less and eat better, and maybe those things last a week or 6 months or what ever but the fact remains: they never stick. That's a problem.
     Recently, while on a walk with Sara and my dog, I had what alcoholics refer to as "a moment of clarity." I realized what other people already know: those things I mentioned can't be phases, they have to be a lifestyle. The way I live has to change. My past and present habits have been mostly sedentary. Sure I walk the dog and ride my bike to work (well I did before it got too cold in the morning. See what I mean?) but aside from those small things, I sit around a lot. My job allows me to sit around a lot. When I think too long about it, it's maddening so now I'm going to something about it. I'm going to change my lifestyle from sedentary to active. And what better way to aid me in this quest than jump on one of the biggest technology bandwagons there is: the blog.
     This blogging thing is a new tool to help keep me accountable. I have heard about other people using a blog to track their progress and routines and what not so I figured I'd adopt the practice. There's thousands of programs out there for tracking your calorie intake and workouts and planning meals but I think what I need is much simpler than all that. I think I need to just track it all in one place, day by day, list what I did and when I screwed up and it's all public record. It sure can't hurt.
     Don't worry, there's not going to be a lot of whining about how sad I am because it's swimsuit season or awkward photos of me in my underroos. This is about information and change for the better. And as the title says, it's not about trying; it's about doing. So follow me if you want; offer me advice, suggest resources or information or inspirational stories. But please, don't give me those stupid motivational posters like this:

Pinned Image
(unless you're joking)

That shit is just plain stupid. Instead, give me something useful like this:
Pinned Image
I've never seen anything like this before. Good stuff for new runners. I can use that.

So that's it until tomorrow. I appreciate your support and time if you actually come back to see what's new. Thanks for reading and Happy New Year.

228, 28.3%

3 comments:

  1. You can do it babe. May the force be with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Russ and I have been working our asses off (literally) since July. We also started juicing (not fasting, just adding fresh veggie & fruit juice to a more "natural" diet). Watch the documentary "Fat Sick & Nearly Dead" (it's on Netflix). More than anything else, adding all the produce has made me feel better and be more able and interested in being more active. Wii fit is a fun game-y way to be active even when the weather sucks. Good luck! I'm anxious to hear your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poster is sweet! I've never even heard of cadence and wonder what mine is! I should figure it out...Andy you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete