Monday, January 30, 2012

Circuits

So yesterday I started a new circuit routine. If you're not familiar, circuit training is about going high intensity with little rest in between your exercises. My own self devised plan isn't as crazy as I've seen but I've been breaking a serious sweat so i feel good about it. I also have to deal with the people at the gym so I can't keep it as strict as I'd like. I use mostly machines, medium weight, 15 reps, about 15 seconds rest in between, and about 15 exercises. It takes 40-45 minutes. If there were fewer people at the gym I'd do more free weights but it's just not possible.
The weekend was fairly successful considering our trip to the beer fest in Concord on Saturday. I somehow managed to stay under 220 all weekend only to wake up at 220.5 today. I found this rather odd since i exercised on both Saturday and Sunday and didn't drink a thing on Sunday. I'm not stressing too much about it since I know it's easy to fluctuate a pound or so every day. I'm pretty confident in this circuit thing though. I've done it before and it worked pretty well in terms of shocking my body out of complacency. Guess we'll find out as the week progresses.
I think in a couple of weeks I'll go back to regular weight lifting. Should be a good change.
I ran into an old student at the gym today (and a couple of times last week). He was a chubby kid as a senior and he's really slimmed down and just trying to build muscle now. Funny because if I looked like that kid I'd be pretty satisfied. Anyway, he's working hard and noticed how often he sees me and thinks I'm working hard (which I am) so it's kind of cool to get another bit of reinforcement and validation. Having people notice really does add to the overall satisfaction of the efforts. I see the numbers on the scale change and my jeans are getting pretty loose but I don't really see it when I look in the mirror. Kinda that whole "watched pot never boils" concept. (wow, no sooner did I just type that sentence than the phrase appeared on Conan. Hweird.)

And with that, I bid you good night.


For my gamer friends
Pinned Image

220.5, 26.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment